Basic Electronic Components – Types, Functions, Symbols
List of Types of Basic Electronic Components, Functions, Symbols.
Basic Electronic Components are electronic devices or parts usually packaged in a discrete form with two or more connecting leads or metallic pads.
These devices are intended to be connected together, usually by soldering to a Printed Circuit Board (PCB), to create an electronic circuit with a particular function (for example an amplifier, radio receiver, oscillator, wireless).
Some of the Basic Electronic Components are: resistor, capacitor, transistor, diode, operational amplifier, resistor array, logic gate etc.
Types of Electronic Components
1. Passive Components
These components are those that do not have gain or directionality. They are also called Electrical elements or electrical components.
2. Active Components
These components are those that have gain or directionality.
Functions of Basic Electronic Components
- Terminals and Connectors: Components to make electrical connection.
- Resistors: Components used to resist current.
- Switches: Components that may be made to either conduct (closed) or not (open).
- Capacitors: Components that store electrical charge in an electrical field.
- Magnetic or Inductive Components: These are Electrical components that use magnetism.
- Network Components: Components that use more than 1 type of Passive Component.
- Piezoelectric devices, crystals, resonators: Passive components that use piezoelectric. effect.
- Semiconductors: Electronic control parts with no moving parts.
- Diodes: Components that conduct electricity in only one direction.
- Transistors: A semiconductor device capable of amplification.
- Integrated Circuits or ICs: A microelectronic computer circuit incorporated into a chip or semiconductor; a whole system rather than a single component.
Circuit Symbols of Electronic Components
I hope you found this article useful.Please share with other so that everybody can gain knowledge. Please share your thoughts and ideas via comments below.
- What is Battery – Types of Battery & How it Works
- Semiconductor Device Fundamentals and Physics
- Uses of Silicon in Electronics
- Electronic Circuits for Beginners
- Electronic Components Name Abbreviations and Symbols
- How to Solder
- Top 10 Electronic Components Manufacturers in the World
- Solar Battery Information – Types, Price, How Solar Batteries Work
- Electronic Components Manufacturers, Suppliers and Distributors
- Types of PCB | Different Types of Printed Circuit Board (PCB)