Double Sided PCB | Types of PCB
Double Sided PCB is popular Type of PCB or Printed Circuit Board. There is conductive layer on both sides of PCB, Hence it is called Double sided PCB.
Double Sided PCB or Double Layer Printed Circuit Board is little complex than Single Sided PCBs. These types of PCB have one single layer of the base substrate but conductive (copper) layer on both sides of the substrate. Solder mask is applied on both sides of the board.
Holes for electronic components have to be plated through for conductivity on both the circuits. Conductive holes in the PCB allow circuits on one side to attach to circuits on the other side. Electronic components are soldered on both sides. Since, there are two or double conductive layer forming the circuit; it is called Double Sided PCB or Two Layer PCB.
How to Make Double Sided PCB?
Making a Double Sided PCB (DIY) is simple. Following are the steps:
- Make Top and Bottom Layout of the PCB using any PCB designing software / CAD Tool (Proteus, Eagle, OrCAD)
- Print both the layouts on separate good quality glossy paper
- Take a Double Sided Copper plated fiberglass PCB substrate and cut to required size / dimension
- With a Cloth Iron (Max Temperature), Iron the Top PCB Layout Print on the Top side of the board. This may take 20-30 Seconds
- Remove the iron and remove the laser ink from the PCB Tracks with a scrubber.
- Drill the required components holes.
- Now clean the other side of the board
- Repeat Steps 4 to 5 to print the bottom layout of the PCB. Make sure that the layouts of both sides are aligned properly.
- Place the board in copper chloride solution (CuCl3 or FeCl3) for about 20-30 minutes so that copper etches out.
- To make the Holes Conductive or Plated Through Hole, use conductive ink or conductive pen with fine tip.
- Apply Green Solder Mask on both sides of the board.
- Do soldering of all the electronic components
- Hurry – Your Double sided PCBA is ready. Have fun.
Video: How to Make a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) – Step By Step Guide & Tutorial
Benefits of Double Sided PCB
Double Sided printed circuit boards are little complex than single sided PCBs and offer following benefits:
- Provides more flexibility.
- Increased circuit density.
- Reduced board size.
- Optimum use of available space as there is space for components on both sides of the board.
- Can be used in numerous electronic devices.
- More complicated projects can be designed.
- Cost effective.
Uses of Double Sided PCB
Double Sided Printed Circuit Boards offer more flexibility and increased circuit density. This is why many electronic companies in the world use these boards in several electronic devices and gadgets:
- Converters and UPS power system
- Control relays and Power conversion
- HVAC and LED lighting
- Instrumentation and Industrial controls
- Power supplies and Regulators
- Traffic control system
- Vending machines
- Line reactors and Test and monitoring equipment
- Printers and Phone systems
- Automotive dashboards
- Types of PCB | Different Types of Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
- Single Sided PCB
- Multilayer PCB
- Rigid PCB
- Flex PCB or Flexible PCB
- Rigid Flex PCB
- PCB Vs PCBA – What is the Difference
- Top 10 PCB Manufacturers in USA
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) for Surface Mount Technology (SMT)
- Top 10 PCB Assembly Companies in USA
- Printed Circuit Board Prototype
- Top 10 PCB Manufacturers in China
- Electronic Components, Parts and Their Function
- Basic Soldering Guide – How to Solder Electronic Components
- SMT Surface Mount Technology
- RoHS Guide in Electronics: RoHS, WEEE and Lead-Free FAQ