Electronic Components, Parts and Their Function
Electronic components are basic electronic element or electronic parts usually packaged in a discrete form with two or more connecting leads or metallic pads.
Electronic Components are intended to be connected together, usually by soldering to a printed circuit board (PCB), to create an electronic circuit with a particular function (for example an amplifier, radio receiver, oscillator, wireless). Some of the main Electronic Components are: resistor, capacitor, transistor, diode, operational amplifier, resistor array, logic gate etc.
Types of Electronic Components
Electronic Components are of 2 types: Active and Passive Electronic Components.
- Passive electronic components are those that do not have gain or directionality. They are also called Electrical elements or electrical components. e.g. resistors, capacitors, diodes, Inductors.
- Active components are those that have gain or directionality. e.g. transistors, integrated circuits or ICs, logic gates.
Electronic Components and Their Functions
- Terminals and Connectors: Components to make electrical connection.
- Resistors: Components used to resist current.
- Switches: Components that may be made to either conduct (closed) or not (open).
- Capacitors: Components that store electrical charge in an electrical field.
- Magnetic or Inductive Components: These are Electrical components that use magnetism.
- Network Components: Components that use more than 1 type of Passive Component.
- Piezoelectric devices, crystals, resonators: Passive components that use piezoelectric. effect.
- Semiconductors: Electronic control components with no moving parts.
- Diodes: Components that conduct electricity in only one direction.
- Transistors: A semiconductor device capable of amplification.
- Integrated Circuits or ICs: A microelectronic computer electronic circuit incorporated into a chip or semiconductor; a whole system rather than a single component
Electronic Components Abbreviations
Here is a list of Electronic Component name abbreviations widely used in the electronics industry:
- AE: aerial, antenna
- B: battery
- BR: bridge rectifier
- C: capacitor
- CRT: cathode ray tube
- D or CR: diode
- F: fuse
- GDT: gas discharge tube
- IC: integrated circuit
- J: wire link
- JFET: junction gate field-effect transistor
- L: inductor
- LCD: Liquid crystal display
- LDR: light dependent resistor
- LED: light emitting diode
- LS: speaker
- M: motor
- MCB: circuit breaker
- Mic: microphone
- Ne: neon lamp
- OP: Operational Amplifier
- PCB: printed circuit board
- PU: pickup
- Q: transistor
- R: resistor
- RLA: RY: relay
- SCR: silicon controlled rectifier
- FET: field effect transistor
- MOSFET: Metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor
- TFT: thin film transistor(display)
- VLSI: very large scale integration
- DSP: digital signal processor
- SW: switch
- T: transformer
- TH: thermistor
- TP: test point
- Tr: transistor
- U:integrated circuit
- V: valve (tube)
- VC: variable capacitor
- VFD: vacuum fluorescent display
- VR: variable resistor
- X: crystal, ceramic resonator
- XMER: transformer
- XTAL: crystal
- Z: zener diode
Electronic Companies (Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters):
- Allied Electronics : List and details of all Actives and Passive Electronic Components.
- Electronics Design World: Electronic components distributor Newark offers semiconductors, passives, interconnects, electromechanical, power source, specialty products, test and measurement equipment.
- PartNumber.com – Free part utility to assign part numbers: An applet that assigns intelligent (significant) part numbers to components in electronic products.
- Electronic Components Database – otxi.com: Online Technology Exchange, Inc.Electronic Component Distributor for Obsolete, Hard to Find, discontinued Integrated Circuits and Semiconductors. Providing an online parts search component database.
- TOYO COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT CO. LTD., Japan: Manufacturers and Suppliers of: Synthetic Quartz Crystals & Crystal Blanks, Microprocessor use/High Stability Ultra-Miniature & Surface
Mount Type Crystals, HCM-Filters for Mobile/Cordless Telephones, Paging Receivers & other Communication Systems, SPXO / TCXO / DTCXO & OCXO Type Crystal Oscillators, Saw Devices upto 1-GHz
- NIC COMPONENTS CORPORATION, U.S.A./Japan: Manufacturers and Suppliers of: Multi-Layer Ceramic Chip Capacitors, Chip Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors, Chip Resistors/Resistor Networks, SMT Thermistors /Inductors / Varistors,
Tantalum Chip Capacitors, Metallized Polyester Film Capacitor Chips, Leaded Miniature Electrolytic / Tantalum Capacitors, Ferrite Beads & Rectifier Diodes
- RCD COMPONENTS, U.S.A. : Manufacturers and Suppliers of: Surface Mount Products, Chip Resistors, SIP-Networks & Active/Passive-Delay Lines, Resistor Network in Surface Mount, SIP/DIP packages, Wire-Wound Resistors, Resistance Standards, Carbon-Film, Metal Film & Metal Oxide Resistors, Special Purpose High Precision Resistors, Inductive Products/ Delay Lines, Surface Mount Ceramic Chip Capacitors, Surface Mount Tantalum Chip Capacitors
- RARA ELECTRONICS CORPORATION, Korea: Manufacturers and Suppliers of: Wire Wound Resistors, Power Film Resistors, RF Resistors, Current Sensing Resistors, Precision Resistors, High Voltage Resistors
- MEGAPHASE LLC, U.S.A. : Manufacturers and Suppliers of: TM Series Cables, VN Series Cables, Series 1 & 2 Cables, Series 3 & 5 Cables, Series 7 Cables, Jump Shot Coaxial Jumper Cables, 75-Ohm Site Line Test Cables, CM Series Test Cable, SF Series Test Cables, Site Line Field & Production Test Cable: SL Series, TM Series Bench Test Cables, Semi-Rigid Cable Assemblies, Micro-Miniature Semi-Rigid Cable Assemblies
- How to Generate Electricity – How is Electricity Generated
- Electronic Components Manufacturers, Suppliers and Distributors
- Printed Circuit Board Prototype
- Printed Circuit Board: Design, Diagram and Assembly
- Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PCBA) – Process, Technology, Tips and Techniques
- Solder Flux Basics
- Cored Solder Wire – All about flux cored solder wire
- How to Solder – Hand Soldering Tutorial
- Solder Paste and Its Application in SMT
- Top 50 Semiconductor Manufacturing Companies in the World
- Top Silicon Wafer Manufacturing Companies in the World
- Solar Energy Companies in India – List of Solar Power Companies
- Cleanroom Basics in Manufacturing or Scientific Research