What is ESD
ESD stands for Electrostatic Discharge. Learn what are dangers of Static Electricity and How to Prevent and Eliminate Electrostatic Discharge.
ESD stands for Electrostatic Discharge. Static electricity is an electrical charge that is at rest. This is mainly created by imbalance of electrons that stay on a specific surface, or in the environmental air. The imbalance of electrons (in all cases, is caused by absence or surplus of electrons) thus causes an electrical field that is capable of influencing other objects at a distance.
So, Electrostatic Discharge can be defined as transfer of electric charge between two different objects charged to different electric potentials. This happens when the two object are brought in contact with each other. Electrostatic Discharge can also happen when two objects with different electric potentials due to static induction are brought together either intentionally or unintentionally.
What are Dangers of ESD?
Electrostatic Discharge can cause damage / defects to electronic products, electronic components mainly SMD components and failure of PCB and equipment that can lead to further damage and accident. Damage while mobile phone repairing is very common because of Electrostatic Discharge.
ESD Prevention – How to Eliminate Electrostatic Discharge
ESD can be prevented and eliminated using ESD Safe Products and by following simple precautions:
- Manufacturing of PCB of PCB Assembly any manufacturing unit should be done in an ESD-Safe and Cleanroom Environment.
- When repairing PCB or electronic equipment, always wear a grounded anti-static wrist strap to ground the worker.
- Lay ESD-safe mat on table or work bench and ground it.
- Remove all static producing materials from the area.
- Use Anti-Static tools and equipment.
- Use ionizers (static eliminator) for ionization (charge mitigating) to neutralize the charge where grounding is not possible.
- Use antistatic bags for packaging PCB when transporting or storage.
Video: Electrostatic Discharge Protection Explained in Detail
- How is Electricity Generated, Transmitted and Distributed?
- Top Electronic Companies in the World
- RoHS Guide in Electronics: RoHS, WEEE and Lead-Free FAQ
- Types of PCB | Different Types of Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
- How to Solder – Hand Soldering Tutorial
- SMT Surface Mount Technology
- Top 50 Semiconductor Manufacturing Companies in the World