PCB Vs PCBA – What is the Difference
PCB and PCBA are Related in Electronics. Without PCB there is No PCBA (Printed Circuit Board Assembly). Learn What is the Difference in PCB Vs PCBA.
PCB and PCBA are related to each other in electronics. Without PCB (Printed Circuit Board) there cannot be PCBA (Printed Circuit Board Assembly). Let us learn and understand in detail here in PCB Vs PCBA.
What is PCB or Printed Circuit Board?
A PCB or a Printed Circuit Board is Board made from non-insulating and highly heat-resistant insulating material like fiberglass. These boards are also called substrates. A conductive metal like copper (sometimes gold) is used to make conductive circuit or pathway or traces for electricity to flow in a predetermined controlled manner. Once PCB itching is done and the circuit is ready on the board, it is called PCB or Printed Circuit Board with no electronic components assembled or soldered onto it. These circuit boards can be single layer, double layer or multilayer depending on requirement of the electronic gadget.
PS: A PCB is also termed as PWB or Printed Wiring Board.
What is PCBA or Printed Circuit Board Assembly
Once a PCB is ready, it has to be assembled with active and passive electronic components like Resistor, SMD Capacitor, Transistor, Transformer, Diode, ICs etc. These electronic components can be through-hole components or SMD components for SMT (Surface Mount Technology).
PCB Assembly or soldering electronic components can be done either by automated soldering technology like wave soldering (for through hole components) or Reflow Soldering (For SMD Components) or Mixed Soldering Technology or by Hand Soldering.
Once all the electronic components are assembled or soldered onto to the PCB it is termed as PCBA or Printed Circuit Board Assembly. Now the board is ready to be used in the electronic device that it was designed for.
PCB Assembly Process Flow Chart (PCBA Process)
Video: How to Make a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) – Step By Step Guide
Where to Buy PCB or Get PCBA Done?
When selecting a Contract Manufacturer or Vendor for Custom PCB Prototype or get Printed Circuit Board Assembly Done, it is important to keep in mind following points:
- The company should be a manufacturer and not just a broker.
- No MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity). Customers should be able to Place Orders for as Minimum Quantity as Possible.
- Fair and competitive pricing
- For PCBA, the company must be capable and equipped for SMT, Thru-hole or Hybrid assembly.
- In-house stringent quality test with latest inspection equipment is a must.
- Lead time matters. Customer must get their PCBs or PCBAs on time with Design for Manufacturability (DFM) .
- Easy return and refund.
- Good 24-Hours customer service.
And here is where PCBway.com comes into play. This company fulfills all of the above points when it comes to ideal PCB manufacturer and PCB assembler. PCBway offers Full featured custom PCB prototype and PCB assembly services for both Through-Hole and SMT. They exports their PCBs and PCBAs all across the world. Just visit their website and send your inquiry.
PCB Vs PCBA – What is the Difference
Finally, a PCB is a Circuit Board with no electronic components. Once all the required electronic components are soldered on to the PCB, it is called PCBA. I hope now it is very much clear about the difference between a PCB and a PCBA.
Please feel free to ask any question in the comment section below.
- Types of PCB | Different Types of Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
- Single Sided PCB
- Double Sided PCB
- Multilayer PCB
- Rigid PCB
- Flex PCB or Flexible PCB
- Rigid Flex PCB
- Top 10 PCB Manufacturers in USA
- Basic Soldering Guide – How to Solder Electronic Components
- Top 10 PCB Assembly Companies in USA
- Top Electronic Companies in the World
- RoHS Guide in Electronics: RoHS, WEEE and Lead-Free FAQ
- How Electronic / Electrical Circuit Works
- Electronic Components, Parts and Their Function
- Printed Circuit Board Prototype
- SMT Vs Through Hole Technology – Advantages and Disadvantages
- How Semiconductor Works
- Top 10 PCB Manufacturers in China