Single Sided PCB | Types of PCB
Single Sided PCB is simplest Type of PCB or printed circuit board. There is only conductive layer and 1 PCB Substrate, Hence it is called single sided PCB.
Single Sided PCB is the simplest low cost PCB or printed circuit board. These types of PCB has only one single layer of the base substrate (Fiberglass) and one single conductive (copper) layer. Holes for electronic components are generally not plated through. Layout for the electronic components is on one side and the conductive circuit is on the other side. Since, there is only conductive layer forming the circuit, it is called single sided PCB or One Layer PCB or Single Layer PCB.
How to Make Single Sided PCB?
Making a simple single sided Printed Circuit Board is quite easy. Following are the steps:
- Make Layout of the PCB using any PCB designing software / CAD Tool (Proteus, Eagle, OrCAD)
- Print the layout on any good quality glossy paper
- Take a Copper plated fiberglass PCB substrate
- Iron the PCB Layout Print on the copper side of the board
- Place the board in copper chloride solution (CuCl3 or FeCl3) for about 20-30 minutes so that copper etches out.
- Using a scrubber, remove the laser ink from the PCB Tracks.
- Apply Green Solder Mask
- Drill the required components holes.
- Do Soldering of all the electronic components
- Hurry – Your PCBA is ready. Have fun.
How to Make a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) – Step By Step Guide & Tutorial
Benefits of Single Sided PCB
Though single layer PCB are cheap and easy to make, they offer following benefits:
- Low manufacturing and production cost.
- Low defect probability.
- Easy to understand.
- Ideal for simple designs.
Uses of Single Sided PCB
Single sided PCBs are generally used in designs of low density and easy electronics. They can be designed and manufactured easily and quickly. Generally electronics students, beginners and hobbyists design and use this type of single sided Printed Circuit Board. Though Single Sided Printed Circuit Boards are easy and simple, they are used by many electronic companies in the world in several electronic devices and gadgets:
- LED Lights
- Many sensors
- Power supply
- Vending machine
- Types of PCB | Different Types of Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
- Double Sided PCB
- Multilayer PCB
- Rigid PCB
- Flex PCB or Flexible PCB
- Rigid Flex PCB
- PCB Vs PCBA – What is the Difference
- Top 10 PCB Manufacturers in USA
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) for Surface Mount Technology (SMT)
- Top 10 PCB Assembly Companies in USA
- Printed Circuit Board Prototype
- Electronic Components, Parts and Their Function
- Basic Soldering Guide – How to Solder Electronic Components
- SMT Surface Mount Technology
- RoHS Guide in Electronics: RoHS, WEEE and Lead-Free FAQ