What is Solder Flux | How to Use Flux in Soldering
Learn What is Solder Flux & How to Use Flux in Soldering.
Here we will learn What is Solder Flux and How to Use Flux in Soldering.
What is Solder Flux?
Solder flux is a kind of chemical used in Automatic PCB Assembly and Hand Soldering. It is basically used to clean surface of PCB before soldering process. It helps to clean and remove oxides and other impurities and thus helps in wetting.
Rosin Flux is manufactured from a type of Resin obtained from pines and some other plants.
Types of Solder Flux
According to the electronics industry standards, J-STD-004, solder fluxes are classified into 3 major categories based on their flux activity:
1. Rosin Flux
Rosin flux is primarily composed of natural resin extracted from the oleoresin of pine trees and refined. The rosin category is further divided three subcategories:
- Rosin (R) Flux: It has only rosin and is the least active. This type of flux is mostly used for surfaces that are clean. It leaves virtually no residue after soldering.
- Rosin Mildly Activated (RMA) Flux: It has sufficient activator to clean the solder-coated or plated lands and component terminations or leads, thereby enabling the molten solder to wet these areas.
- Rosin Activated (RA) Flux: Type RA is most active of the rosin fluxes, and leaves the most residues after soldering.
2. Water Soluble Flux
Water soluble flux is also known as organic acid (OA) flux. It is is primarily composed of organic materials other than rosin or resin. Water-soluble flux provides good soldering results because they have good flux activity. They have good wetting action (ability to remove oxides and prepare a clean surface for soldering). However, they may be too aggressive, calling for extra precaution during cleaning of the PCB Assemblies to avoid flux contamination.
3. No-Clean Flux
These are flux that doesn’t need any cleaning after soldering process.
Why is Solder Flux Used in Soldering?
The main function or use of flux in any Printed Circuit Board Assembly or rework is to clean and remove any oxide and impurities from the board. These oxides deposited on the board may not permit good solder joints. If the solder joint is poor, there will be poor electrical conduction or poor flow of electricity through the circuit.
Solder flux helps to de-oxidize metals (copper tracks on the PCB and leads of electronic components) and helps better soldering and wetting. The activators in the flux promote wetting of the molten solder to the surface mount lands and component terminations or leads by removing oxides and other surface contaminants.
Availability of Soldering Flux
Solder flux is available in different forms:
- Liquid Flux
- Flux Pen (Good for Mobile Phone Repairing)
- Flux Paste
- Solid Flux
Alpha Cookson trusted manufacturer and supplier of all types of solder flux.
Choosing the Best Flux for Soldering
Several factors determine the type of flux to be used during soldering:
- Type of PCB (single-sided, double-sided, multilayer)
- Density and type of Active and Passive Electronic Components to be soldered.
- Soldering process (Wave Soldering, Hand Soldering, SMT).
- Solderability of metals to be joined.
Soldering Flux Cleaning
After the soldering process is over, it is important to clean the board to remove any unwanted flux residue that can affect the performance of the board and can even cause electrical short circuit. No-clean flux doesn’t need any cleaning. In case of fluxes that need cleaning after soldering, solvent cleaning or aqueous cleaners can be used. Most soldering flux manufacturers and vendors also supply flux cleaners.
- Cored Solder Wire – All about flux cored solder wire
- How to Clean and Tin Soldering Iron Tip
- Pin Hole and Blow Hole Wave Soldering Defect and Remedy
- Soldering in Electronics
- Lead-Free (Pb-Free) Solder and Composition
- RoHS Guide in Electronics: RoHS, WEEE and Lead-Free FAQ
- PCB Assembly Machines and Tools
- Electronic Components Manufacturers, Suppliers and Distributors
- Printed Circuit Board Prototype
- Solder Paste and Its Application in SMT