How Solar Water Heater Works
Learn How Solar Water Heater Works or Solar Water Heater Working Principle.
Here we will Learn How Solar Water Heater Works or Solar Water Heater Working Principle Explained in Detail with Images, Diagram and Animation Video.
What is a Solar Water Heater?
Solar water heaters or domestic solar water heater are cheap and cost-effective way to supply hot water for your home. They use solar radiation or sunshine as fuel to heat water. This method of heating water is cheaper because we don’t have to pay for heat of the sun.
Solar water heaters are described according to the type of collector and the circulation system used.
How Solar Water Heater Works?
Initial solar water heaters were basically large metal containers painted in black because black color is a good conductor of heat and absorbs a lot of heat getting heated quickly. As the container got heated with the heat of the sun, water stored in these containers also got heated. This was simple but was time-consuming because it took several hours to heat the water.
With the advancement of technology, solar cells, solar panels and home solar panel system were made and new solar water heaters were developed. These new solar water heaters work on the same principle but have much sophisticated system including pumps, insulated storage tanks, temperature gauges, anti-freeze valves, and solar collector. This new system absorbs more solar energy from the sun and thus heats water quicker.
These more advanced Solar water heaters are manufactured in different designs but all of them have following common components:
- A Collector – Batch collector (Not Compatible with closed-loop circulation systems), Flat-plate collector, Evacuated tube collector.
- Insulated Storage Tank – Has inlets and outlets connected to and from the.
Circulation System to Heat Water
4 Different types of circulation systems are used in solar water heaters to heat water:
Active Circulation System (forced-circulation)
In this system, controllers, electric pumps and valves are used to force water from the collector to the storage tank. This system is widely used in USA.
Passive Circulation System
In this system, water automatically moves from the collectors to the storage tank as it heats up. This process happens because of convection. There is no need of any electric pump.
Direct Circulation System
In this system, water is circulated through solar collectors where it is heated by heat of the sun. This heater water can be piped to a tankless water heater, or it can be directly used. This system is suitable at places on Earth where there is no snowfall. At places with very cold climate or where there is snowfall, the system will require protection from freeze.
Closed-loop Circulation System (indirect system)
In this system, non-freezing liquid is stores in collectors. Heat from the Sun heats this liquid that passes passes through a heat exchanger in the storage tank. This process transfers heat from the non-freezing liquid to water in the tank. The non-freezing liquid then cycles back to the collectors.
This system is best suitable for places with very cold climate or where there is snowfall.
Solar Water Heater Diagram
Video: How Solar Water Heater Works Animation
I hope now it is clear How Solar Water Heater Works and it Working Principle. Please SHARE if you Liked.
- How Solar Power Works
- How is Solar Electricity Produced from Solar Panels and Stored
- Solar Panel Installation Guide – Step by Step Process
- Solar Battery Information – Types, Price, How Solar Batteries Work
- Top 10 Solar Companies in the World
- Australian Homes with Solar Energy
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Solar Energy
- Solar Energy Cost
- Semiconductor Device Fundamentals and Physics
- How Semiconductor Works
- Top 50 Semiconductor Manufacturing Companies in the World
- Top Silicon Wafer Manufacturing Companies in the World
- Solar Energy Companies in India – List of Solar Power Companies
- Top 10 Solar Companies in India Listed in Stock Market
- Electronics and Electricity Basics