How to Check Earthing at Home with Test Lamp and Multimeter
Learn How to Test and Check Earthing at Home with Test Lamp and Multimeter
We all must know How to Check Earthing at Home with Test Lamp and Multimeter in order to be safe. Proper earthing at home ensures safety in case of electrical shock. Checking value / voltage of earthing in home electrical socket is very easy. We can check if earthing is proper or not using a Test Lamp or a Multimeter. Let us learn in detail.
What is a Test Lamp?
A Test Lamp is a Florescent Bulb connected to a Holder and Electrical Wire. Most electricians use Test Lamps as a voltage tester to check Earthing and other electrical connections.
What is a Multimeter?
A Multimeter is a measurement instrument designed to measure electric current, voltage, and resistance over several value range. Check – How to Use Multimeter
How to Check Earthing at Home with a Test Lamp
- Insert the Positive Wire of the Test Lamp in the Positive side (Right Hole) of the Socket and Negative Wire to the Negative side of the Socket (Left Hole).
- Switch ON. The Bulb will Glow at Full Brightness.
- Remove the Negative Wire (Leave the Positive Wire as it is).
- Insert the Negative wire in the Earthing of the Socket (Top single Hole).
- The Bulb must Glow with Full Brightness as before.
- If the Bulb does NOT Glow at all then there is NO Earthing / Grounding. If the Bulb Glows Dim, then it means the Earthing is Not Proper. Get it checked by a Professional Electrician.
How to Check Earthing at Home with Multimeter
- In case of AC Power supply, keep the Pointer of the Multimeter at AC Value above 250 Volts. In case of DC, Keep the Pointer at a DC Value above 120 Volts.
- Insert the Red Probe in the Positive Hole of the Socket (Right Home) and the Black Probe in the Negative Hole of the Socket (Left Hole).
- Check and Note down the value.
- Now Remove the Black Probe and insert in the Earthing Hole of the Socket.
- Read the Value. It must be same as earlier.
- If there is NO Value of Less Value then the Earthing is not Proper.
Video: How to Check Earthing with Test Lamp and Multimeter
- Rules of Electrical Circuit in Parallel and Series
- Electrical Wiring Symbols, Meanings and Drawings
- What is Continuity in Electricity – How to Test Continuity with Multimeter
- How is Electricity Generated, Transmitted and Distributed?
- Types of Electric Current
- How is Solar Electricity Produced from Solar Panels and Stored
- How to Reduce Electricity Bill