Solar Energy | Journal, Uses, Types, Benefits
Solar Energy Journal Covering Uses, Types of Solar Energy, Benefits / Advantages and Disadvantages, How it Works, Examples and Importance.
In this Journal, we Learn about Solar Energy Covering its Uses, Types, Benefits / Advantages and Disadvantages, How it Works, Examples and Importance.
What is Solar Energy?
Solar Energy is the fastest growing power supply source in the world. The sun has been producing heat for billions of years. This heat of the sun can be converted into other forms, such as heat and electrical energy or electricity.
Even though, renewable solar energy has existed ever since the existence of our solar system, its potential was not recognized until 1830 when a British astronomer, John Herschel, used a solar thermal collector box to cook food during an expedition to Africa. This thermal collector device absorbed sunlight to collect heat and cook the food.
Converting sunlight into electricity is called solar power. This conversion of sunlight into electricity can be done by using Photovoltaic (PV), or with concentrating solar power (CSP).
Solar Photovoltaic Cells
Photovoltaic Cell or PV Cell are an array PV cell. These PV cells are made up of photovoltaic material that converts solar radiation into direct current (DC) electricity.
Solar Photovoltaic Panels
Solar Panels (SP) / Modules or photovoltaic (PV) panels are made from electrically connected array of PV Cells.
Solar electricity can be produced in two ways:
- Using Photovoltaic (PV devices);
- Concentrating Solar Power Plants
Some such battery banks use wet cells, while others use sealed or gel cell batteries. NiMH batteries are preferred and most common because they are better than standard NiCAD batteries in terms of charging and release cycles.
Solar lights are in fact a very cost-effective way for both indoor and outdoor lighting requirements. LED bulbs are used in most such lights because they consume less electricity and produce more bright light.
Indoor and outdoor solar lighting has gained popularity over recent years. Use of these lights can not only save the environment but it can also save money on your electricity bills.
Home Solar Panels
Home Solar Panels are best way to use energy of the Sun at home. People install PV Panel Roofs and Roof Shingles. Many people think that installation of such roofs or panels is too complicated. This is not the case. There are many companies that can help you to find the right set up for all your energy needs. These companies can also do the installation for you.
Uses of Solar Energy
Some of the most common products using solar energy are – solar water heaters and coolers, cookers, pool heaters and fountains, birdbaths, garden accents, and outdoor lights.
Other less common products include – solar clothing, toys, ovens, laptop battery chargers etc.
Solar Energy Companies
Some of the best and most prominent solar energy companies in the world in terms of market popularity are:
|3.||Tata Power Solar||India|
|7.||Hanwha Q-Cells||South Korea|
Types of Solar Energy
Solar energy can be classified into following major 3 Types:
1. Solar Thermal Energy
Energy from sun can be used for heating. It is called Solar thermal energy.
Examples: Solar water heater and pool heating system, Solar space heating, Solar thermal cooling
2. Photovoltaic Solar Power
Converting sunlight into electricity using photovoltaic cells is called Photovoltaic Solar Power.
Examples: Small Scale Solar electricity generation, Photovoltaic solar lighting
3. Concentrating Solar Power (CSP)
Generating large scale electricity is called Concentrating solar power. This technology is used by alternative energy suppliers such as Green Mountain Energy Company.
Solar Energy Advantages and Disadvantages
- The first and foremost advantage is that it is completely free and green and renewable. It is also termed as green energy.
- Solar electricity is efficient and can save money for you in the form of huge electricity bills.
- It also helps to preserve our environment.
- It is undoubtedly the energy and power source of the future.
- The very first disadvantage is that it is not constant. The amount of sunlight reaching the earth depends on several factors such as location, time of day, time of year, and weather conditions.
- Second drawback is that it is spread over a large surface on earth. Therefore, a large surface area is needed to collect the energy for any useful purpose.
- Solar Panel Installation Guide – Step by Step Process
- Home Solar Panel System – Cost, Government Subsidy
- How is Electricity Generated
- How Semiconductor Works
- Top 50 Semiconductor Manufacturing Companies in the World
- Top Silicon Wafer Manufacturing Companies in the World
- Solar Companies in India – List of Solar Power Companies
- Top 10 Solar Companies in India Listed in Stock Market