What is Continuity in Electricity | How to Test Continuity with Multimeter
Learn What is Continuity in Electricity, Its Symbol and How to Test Continuity with Multimeter.
Here we will Learn What is Continuity in Electricity, Its Symbol and How to Test Continuity with Multimeter.
What is Continuity in Electricity?
Continuity is UNBROKEN Conductive path for electricity to flow. This conductive path can be an insulated copper electric wire or a Circuit on a Printed Circuit Board.
An Operational Close Circuit is Simplest Example of Continuity in Electricity.
Continuity Symbol on Multimeter
Uses of Continuity Test in Electrical and Electronics
- A Multimeter (Analog or Digital) can be used in Continuity Test Mode to Test and Check if an Electric Wire is Broken or Not, Test Fuse, Switches, Circuit Track, Electrical Connections, Several Electronic Components.
- A Continuity Test is used to check if a Circuit is Open or Closed. Remember, only a Complete Closed Circuit will Pass Continuity Test.
- Continuity test can be used to measure Resistance in an electric circuit.
How to do a Continuity Test with Digital Multimeter
- Insert the Black Test Probe Lead into the COM jack.
- Next, Insert the Red Test Probe Lead into the VΩ jack
- Turn the Pointer of the Multimeter to Continuity Test mode (See the Symbol Above).
- Touch the Test Leads to the two ends of the electrical wire or legs /terminals of the component being tested.
- A Digital Multimeter will Produce a BEEP Sound if the Conductive Path is Close (Continuity PASS).
- The Multimeter will NOT BEEP If the Conductive Path or Circuit is Open (Continuity FAIL).
- Turn OFF the Multimeter when testing is Done to Save Life of the Battery.
Continuity Test Safety Measures
- Never perform continuity test in Live Wire or Circuit. Switch OFF and Unplug the Device to be Tested.
- Make Sure there is NO Voltage in the Circuit to be Tested.
- Make sure that all Capacitors are Discharged.
Video: Mastech MAS830L Digital Multimeter Review
- Electronic Circuits for Beginners
- Rules of Electrical Circuit in Parallel and Series
- How to Use a Digital Multimeter
- How to Check Earthing at Home with Test Lamp and Multimeter
- Best Multimeter in India Under Rs 500
- Mobile Phone Repairing Testing Methods
- How Electronic / Electrical Circuit Works
- Active and Passive Electronic Components